Catharsis is a therapeutic benefit of inner healing. It’s sometimes referred to as “emotional housecleaning” or corrective emotional experience. It involves the expression or the venting of strong feelings.
This therapeutic benefit usually has several components:
* Reality testing – with aid of consensual confirmation and validation from therapist or support group members;
* Risk taking – supportive enough therapist or group to permit the taking of risks;
* Facilitation of deep and honest interaction with others;
* Recognition of unhealthy individual habits or interpersonal behaviors;
* Strong expressions of emotion that is interpersonally directed
Part of the curative aspect of “catharsis” is a great relief simply in knowing that one is not alone. Beyond the simple relief of sharing, just knowing that other people experience the same feelings, thoughts, and struggles make it easier to break down internal barriers and start healing.